- Customer Photos
MSR - 2016 Mav 3 Block Helmet With MIPS
The MSR MAV 3 MIPS helmet is a mid priced helmet with MIPS and some other high-end features. MIPS changes the way to think about helmet safety; developed by brain surgeons and scientists to reduce rotational forces on the brain caused by angled impacts to the head. Adding MIPS to the MAV 3 helmet brings state of the art safety technology other companies charge double the price for. Modern helmet shells have many sculptured ridges and valleys in them. Most helmets, including some very expensive brands, do not have an impact absorbing expanded polystyrene (EPS) liner that follows and fills in those peaks and valleys. The MAV 3 MIPS EPS liner does fill in those peaks and valleys and this creates improved impact absorption. Safety is key with all our helmets and the MAV 3 MIPS passes two of the toughest safety standards today. Comfort is addressed with our round-oval Shell shape and using, top of the line SilverCool wicking material in the interior. Shell design features great venting, a strengthened chinbar and large eye port that accommodate most goggles including "over the glasses" types.
MIPS is an advanced and efficient brain protection system that provides a secure environment for riders of all kinds. MIPS industry-leading technology deals with "rotational violence" which is found to be the leading cause of concussion and even more severe brain injuries. It mimics the brain's own protection system.
When the head hits the ground at an angle, the brain slides along a membrane on the inner surface of the skull, which reduces the rotational forces transmitted to the brain. The MIPS yellow Low Friction Layer (LFL) sits between the helmet's EPS and the liner. At impact there is a movement, independent of direction, between MIPS and the liner that substantially reduces the rotational force to the brain.
MIPS does not interfere with a helmet's existing safety property, performance or design, adding minimal weight and less than 1 mm in thickness. It's based on more than 15 years of R&D at the Royal Institute of Technology and The Karolinska University Hospital in Stockholm, Sweden.
• Meets or exceeds the ECE 22-05 safety standard
• Meets or exceeds the D.O.T. FMVSS 218 safety standard
• Shell made of injection molded polycarbonate
• MIPS liner in between the comfort foam and the EPS liner
• SilverCool moisture wicking liner is removable for easy washing
• SilverCool liner also reduces odor and is anti-microbial
• 9 intake and exhaust vents help keep you cool
• 4 eyebrow vents help evaporate sweat before it drips into eyes and goggles
• Wire mesh chinbar vent has foam filter
• Flexible rubber nose/cheek piece to help deflect roost
• Replacement visors sold separately
• Weight 3.2 pounds, 1480 grams (size medium)