This product has been discontinued
We think you might like these similar products below:
6D - ATR-2 Missile Helmet
Product Code: 6d-atr-2-missile-helmet
6D - ATR-2 Missile Helmet
- MULTI-IMPACT OUTER EPP (Expanded Polypropelyene) LINER: 6D strategically positioned the multi-impact EPP outer liner against the helmet shell’s inner surface. An exceptional energy absorption material, the EPP was specifically engineered with islands of EPP “Damping Towers” to assist in progressive loading of the ODS system during impacts. The multi-impact capability of the EPP is one of the key elements that allows the rebuilding* of the ATR-2 after a moderate to severe impact. *Provided the helmet’s shell is not compromised from the impact event.
- EPP LINED CHINBAR: Thicker lower density EPP lined chinbar is more durable and provides more energy absorbing material for side impacts to the jaw area. It also includes a polyurethane over-molded sternum pad.
- OPTIMIZED SHELL DESIGN: The 6D concept of ‘Optimized Shell Design’ does not define one element, but a system where multiple materials work together, in concert, to provide greater protection and energy management. The shell must have the structural integrity to prevent penetration, but it should not be overly stiff or rigid either. An overly stiff and rigid shell can seriously compromise the helmet’s energy management potential.
- TIME-TO-PEAK (TTP): Time is Critical in Reducing Energy Transfer to the Brain. Time-To-Peak (TTP) is the measurement of time (in milliseconds) it takes the energy of an impact to reach maximum (peak) G force. Deceleration time is the single most beneficial component of reducing the severity and magnitude of any impact. The more time, the less severe the energy transfer will become. 6D’s advanced ODS technology buys time.
- LOW-THRESHOLD ENERGY: Low Velocity Impacts are Far and Away the Most Common Type of Off-Road Accidents. Medical research has provided alarming conclusions surrounding the causes, severity, and long-term effects of concussions. Even seemingly minor concussions may have much more serious long-term effects on the brain. No other helmet company cared about low-threshold energy transfer before 6D brought the issue to light in 2013. This is the most critical performance range of helmets and covers all impact velocities below the certification standard’s requirements, for both linear and angular accelerations. Low-Threshold Energy is the most concerning problem facing the athlete today, illustrated in this simple graph to the right. As you can see, the energy transfer in all the competitive helmets referenced is at, or above the concussion threshold for an adult male and accurately represents the market.6D’s Omni-Directional Suspension (ODS) starts working the instant any force is applied to the shell. Its suspended inner liner travels and shears under crash impact loading thereby reducing energy transfer to the brain.
- ANGULAR ACCELERATION: Angular Acceleration Force is the Primary Cause of Concussion. Angular acceleration (rotational force) is generated from oblique angle impacts to the helmet surface resulting in shearing, stretching, and tearing, of the soft tissues within the brain. The medical community has determined that angular acceleration is the primary cause of concussion, traumatic brain injury and worse. Laboratory testing at Wayne State University* has proven that a helmeted head sustained the same degree of angular acceleration as the un-helmeted head when subjected to identical impacts. This is because the helmet is directly “coupled” to the wearer’s head. One of the major benefit features of Omni-Directional Suspension (ODS) is that it effectively “uncouples” that relationship allowing the shell and outer liner to shear independently to the inner layer and the head-form; thereby scrubbing off a high percentage of the angular acceleration force.